Have you ever been sitting outside on a sunny day and seen a snake slither across your lawn? If this has happened to you, then you are not alone. Garden snakes are one of the most common types of snakes that people see in their yards, but they can be quite scary if they catch someone off guard. If you do happen to cross a snake in your garden, here are some tips to remember.
Tips to Follow if You Find a Snake in your Yard
- If you see a snake in your yard or garden, don’t panic – they are usually harmless
- Keep an eye on the snake and make sure it doesn’t come too close to you, your pets, or your kids
- Don’t try to pick up the snake
- Make sure all of your pets are inside before going outside so they don’t get bitten by accident
- Keep an eye on the snake and try to find out what kind of snake it is (Venomous or non-venomous)
- If you can’t identify the type of snake, call animal control or a snake control expert for help
- Be careful not to get too close to the snake as they may bite if threatened
- Never handle a venomous species of snake without protective gear and always seek medical attention immediately after being bitten by one
How to Get Rid of Garden Snakes
There are many reasons why a snake is in your yard. The most common reason is that it’s a good yard to find food and lie low. Maybe you have a lot of great hiding places, or there are plenty of field mice or rodents to eat.
Whatever the case may be, here are ways you can deter and get rid of snakes in your yard and garden.
- Check for holes in the ground and seal them up.
- Keep your garden free of debris, such as leaves and branches, that could provide cover for snakes to hide under
- Use a repellent like Snake Away to keep snakes away from your yard
- Install motion-activated sprinklers around the perimeter of your property that will scare off any unwanted visitors
- Call a snake removal specialist to trap and remove unwanted snakes. If you have an ongoing snake problem, they can advise what measures are best for a long-term solution.
Snakes are a problem in many areas of the country and in Virginia, and they can be especially troublesome for those who have gardens. If you’re having trouble getting rid of these pesky animals, there is hope! When we help our customers get rid of garden snakes with humane methods like exclusion and fencing, it’s often an easy fix.
We also provide 24/7 emergency wildlife removal services to ensure that your property stays snake-free. Give us a call today if you need any assistance ridding your yard or garden from these unwanted visitors.